CHERRY HINTON HALL
The Hall was built for John and Mary Okes. John Okes, born in Cambridge in 1793, was a surgeon at Addenbrooke's Hospital. In 1824 they married and initially lived in Cambridge until 1831 when they purchased old enclosures at Mill End Close and the land at Mill End common.
In 1839, they built Cherry Hinton Hall on this land; the gardens were laid out after the hall was built.
John died in 1870 and the Cherry Hinton Estate was sold to the Cambridge University and Town Waterworks Company. The next resident of the Hall was one of the Directors of the Waterworks Company, Charles Balls.
Balls trained as a shoemaker and then a leather merchant. He grew wealthy and became Mayor of Cambridge in both 1858 and 1859. In the 1870’s he and his family moved out of the city to Cherry Hinton Hall. Hi wife Eliza died in 1876 and Charles remained there with his daughters until moving back into the city in 1888.
In 1902, Sir William Phene Neal and Lady Eleanor Vise Neal came to live in the Hall. Sir William had been a solicitor in London for many years. He and his wife, appear to have turned it into a dairy farm. In 1930, William became Lord Mayor of London and in the following year he received his knighthood.
In the 1930s, the City Council purchased the Hall and grounds, and it remains in their ownership. The building has been occupied by the Cambridge International School since 2008, and is currently the Oaks International School